Dinner on Tuesday, May 5, 2009Ingredients:
1 zucchini cut thin then in quarters
1 yellow squash cut thin then in quarters
1/2 onion diced
a handful of mushrooms sliced
1/2 red peper diced
1/2 green peper diced
any other veggies you want or have on hand (I used a parsnip only cuz it needed to be used)
2 tomatoes sliced thin
1 cup of spaghetti sauce
1 Tbls Pesto (I've never used this before and I liked it!)
1 Tbls minced garlic (I usually use fresh garlic but I was short on time)
a pinch of Thyme, oregano and basil
1 loaf of french bread
Mozzarella cheese
It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. It took me 15 minutes of prep work and 10 minutes in the oven and dinner was ready!!
1. Preheat oven on broil.
2. Slice all veggies and tossed them in the pan with the garlic and pesto.
3. I grilled the veggies (I guess that's what it's called...I put them in a pan over MED heat with NO oil or butter and just kept tossing them) and added to it as I got them cut.
3. Cooked them until all veggies were "el dente" (I didn't want mushy veggies)
4. added my seasonings (thyme, basil and oregano).
5. Sliced french bread and placed them on a cookie sheet. Added about a teaspoon of sauce to each (I didn't want it runny so I used just enough to cover).
6. Add a slice or two of fresh tomatoes.
7. Spoon cooked veggies on top and place in oven for 5 minutes or so.
8. I took them out of the oven and added the mozzarella cheese and let them broil another minute or two to melt the cheese.
Viola! Healthy, quick, easy and cheap! The bread was crunchy and the veggies were tasty. I'll definitely be making this one again!

No comments:
Post a Comment